12 — Life story showcase
During this final sequence, the focus will be on students sharing their polished print and digital life stories that form Assessment task 2. It would be appropriate to invite guests such as the subjects of the life stories, community members, another class or school staff to provide a wider audience. All students sharing their stories must have already submitted the appropriate Information and consent form.
Photographs can reveal much about the life and times of our subjects.
Activity 1: Face-to-face presentations
There are many ways to format such an event, and the following is one suggestion:
- Set up six stations in or near the classroom to host four or five print and digital stories.
- Preload a laptop for each station with the digital stories.
- Print stories could be uploaded and displayed in large font to save paper, or alternatively paper copies could be made available to each member of the group.
- The Assessment task 2 rubric should be available, and all participants should be encouraged to ask questions and provide informal constructive feedback.
- The students should have up to 10 minutes to present their life story, and to respond to questions and feedback.
- Visitors should be distributed evenly across the groups.
Activity 2: Virtual presentations (in addition to, or in place of Activity 1)
There is an option of setting up a Wiki or using a school Moodle to enable presentations to be accessed across time and space. This may facilitate a broader audience, including subjects and parents unable to attend the showcase. VoiceThread is another alternative: a particularly vibrant and flexible option for collaborative learning, and anyone who can use email, text messaging or Skype should have no difficulty using the software.
Submission of Assessment task 2
The contents of the assessment package for Assessment task 2 must include:
- the story in digital or print format
- Information and consent form
- Peer assessment forms collected during Sequence 11
- Assessment task 2 rubrics with student self-assessment completed.